Re: Home UPS recommendations

hw composed on 2024-02-10 03:18 (UTC+0100):

> On Fri, 2024-02-09 at 18:51 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> hw composed on 2024-02-09 22:45 (UTC+0100):
>> [...]
>>> Hm, Powercom doesn't seem to exist here, but Eaton seems to have good
>>> prices.  How's the battery availability with Eaton?

>> <https://batterysharks.com/csb-battery-hr1234w-battery-replacement-12v-9ah-version.html>
>> has the very common physical attributes used by all my Eaton, Tripp-Lite and
>> Powercom UPSes.

> Well, having batteries shipped over from the US would probably cost
> more than a new UPS.

They are made in China. Surely there are UK sellers. The URL was simply provided
as a representative of specifications of a very common SLA battery for UPS type.

> That rules out Liebert, Cyperpower and Triplite due to uncertain or no
> availability.  That only leaves Eaton.

Those from the above URL are the same spec batteries used in many APC models.

> Does Eaton provide their own Linux software and/or do they accept
> monitoring results from other software like nut (assuming that apcupsd
> won't work for Eaton UPSs)?

Mine are all connected to a multitude of devices more to protect the hardware from
a lousy power source. I don't try to use the software. When power fails, I shut
things down when the outage lasts more than a few seconds.

When you live on a power grid, extended outages are much less common than when on
or near waterfront or political boundaries. Most of Florida's population has no
out-of-state neighbors to share utilities with, making its grid more fragile.
Being the lightning capital of the world doesn't help either.

>> Here in FL, replacement battery life averages under 30 months, no
>> matter the battery brand. OEM batteries have averaged more like 54.

> How is that?  Do you have frequent power outages that stress the
> batteries so much?
The nature of the beasts is that their use generates heat. These batteries don't
like heat. The cooler they can be kept, the longer they can last. My thermostat
temp setting in heating season is 78F, in cooling season 82F, and cooling season
is much longer than heating season. In climates where heating season is most of
the year and tstat is kept below 65F, I'm guessing likely they could last a decade
or more.

Battery orientation within the unit probably makes a difference, and even more,
separation, with worst orientation side-by-side with no air space between. It's
not easy to learn about such specs prior to purchase. UPS makers seem to want to
keep battery specs top secret, out of marketing materials, even from manuals.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata