Re: electrons/the Internet doesn't like question authority niggahs?,oris it that I like to eat raw garlic, ...

On 3/5/24 00:34, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Mon, Mar 04, 2024 at 07:44:41PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
On 3/4/24 11:42, Albretch Mueller wrote:
spend days on end reading, coding and thinking about Math?
[...]
Your traceroute might be your isp throttling things as traceroute demands an
answer from every machine it passes thru to get to the destination. Some
ISP's might frown on that as its a huge traffic burst.

_LINK="https://christuniversity.in/uploads/course/E&Comp_21-25_Lateral
Entry(1)_20210618043317.pdf"

This above is busted and will continue to be until you replace the " "
wrapping it up with left & right arrows like: <https://path/to/file>

Sorry, Gene -- this is nonsense (at several levels).

The quotes (") prevent the shell from splitting the thing into two pieces.
You'll have to make sure to quote the expansion like so "$_LINK" if you
want to prevent it being split again where it's used (e.g. as an arg to
wget or curl, or...)

That hasn't changed.

The angle brackets may quote in very specific contexts (e.g. an email
body). Or they may not. That depends on all the mail handling tidbits
in their way.

For the shell, the angle brackets HAVE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT MEANING
(sorry for raising my voice). They might redirect your stdin/stdout
or kill all kitten in your household, depending on context.

Cheers

I'll summerize, Tomas, it works for me. I use FF as a browser, and prefer bash as a shell. Currently t-bird for email but its buggier than a 10 day old road kill in the filter to mailbox category. Its a full time job keeping the mail filters that sort mail to local stash working at a 50% catch rate. Old school? Guilty.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis