Re: strange time problem with bullseye

On 3/7/24 14:16, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
On Wednesday 06 March 2024 12:42:12 pm Greg Wooledge wrote:
How do I get the RTC to agree with the right time?

"hwclock -w" to copy the system clock to the hardware clock (RTC).  This
should also be done during shutdown, but it doesn't hurt to do it now.

True, but needs a sudo in front if it in my case on that armbian buster machine.
That seemed to do what I needed.

I don't ordinarily shut this machine down for the most part.  Every once in a while all of my swap partition gets filled up,  and then there's this continuous hard drive activity that I'm assuming is what they mean by "thrashing". The only option at that point is to get its attention with the power switch.  And then I need to go through a whole routing with bringing up what I had going,  including re-starting virtualbox and the stuff that runs in it,  etc.  If I'm lucky then I can get back the windows I had going before,  sometimes I'm not so lucky.  A system monitor I run on desktop 4 always comes up,  but on the wrong desktop and I have to move it.

The "eat all available memory" culprit seems to be firefox.  I just need to look at that system monitor every once in a while and when things start getting excessive shut firefox down and restart it.  Then I don't have the problem...

I'm not sure if I have ntp or something else running here.  (Looking...)  I don't see it in my process list.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis