Re: Bluetooth sound problems Debian 12 GNOME

On 10/03/2024 21:07, Jan Krapivin wrote:
Hello! I have a problem with sound quality when using bluetooth headphones on Debian 12 GNOME.

Every ~20 minutes, sometimes less, sometimes more, sound interrupts for a 1-5 seconds with complete silence.

Are there anything in journalctl output (executed as root) around these events?

At first I thought that problem can be in the headphones, though it have worked fine with Android phone and Linux Mint XFCE on a other laptop.

Is XFCE configured to use pulseaudio or PipeWire as GNOME?

So I bought another headphones with support of different codecs: SBC, AAC, and AptX.

Another option might be LC3 codec from Bluetooth LE (5.2 Basic Audio Profile) if it is supported by the headphones.

Though in mSBC there are no interruptions. I wonder why mSBC works fine and SBC no..?

Either a software/hardware bug or some piece of software disables power saving for handsfree/headset profiles to achieve low latency, but for A2DP device tries to sleep after some period of time. At least SBC allows to decrease bitrate if connection is unreliable. I have read somewhere that current drivers can not increase bitrate without reconnection. It is just speculations, do not take it too serious.

Arch Linux wiki pages have long troubleshooting sections. Debian ones are partially outdated:
https://wiki.debian.org/BluetoothUser
https://wiki.debian.org/BluetoothUser/a2dp

Last resort might be dumping bluetooth traffic, but perhaps it is better to ask in some mailing list or forum more close to Bluetooth stack developers.