Re: Formal CFV: General Resolution to Abolish Non-Free

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 11:03:33PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> DEBIAN GENERAL RESOLUTION
>
> Having met the requirement for introduction, this is a formal call for
> votes as per section 4.2.1 of the Debian Constitution.

Only the project secretary can call for votes, see appendix A.

> Debian General Resolution
> Resolved:

Usually the structure of such things is something like:

	I propose that Debian resolve that:

		[blah]

for the proposal, and:

	Let it be hereby resolved that:

		[blah]

once the resolution has passed a vote.

Other procedural matters:

As I understand it, this resolution falls under point 4.1.5: that the
developers by way of general resolution may issue nontechnical policy
documents and statements. Note that to succeed this vote needs a simple
majority, unlike ammending the constitution, or overriding the decisions
of the technical committee [0].

I'm also weirded out by the last sentence of A.3.1: ``No quorum is
required for an ammendment''. What does this mean? If I propose and gain
seconds for an ammendment to John's resolution, do I not need anyone else
to vote for it to succeed, whereas John would? Or does it only apply to
the "Which form will the resolution take?" vote, and not the "Shall it
be resolved that... [Yes] [No]" vote?

Cheers,
aj

[0] But, oddly, not overriding the decisions of the DPL.

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark