Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> > It just makes things messy on the mirrors. I think Jason has tried
> > to point this out in the past. I do browse the Debian web site
> > (about once a fortnight) at www.debian.org, but I certainly don't FTP
> > to ftp.debian.org (too slow).
>
> My point being that people use mirrors a lot (outside the US at least),
> so either they'll see no change at all, or non-free will disappear from
> the mirrors. Nobody but the .debian.org sites will bother splitting.

Actually most of the mirrors will probably not pick up the new site simply
because they were setup years ago and are just running on automatic now.
Some of them will just mirror it into debian-non-free and some of them
will go to the extra trouble of re-integrating it - probably the same
number of people that do it with non-us (2 or 3..)

The net effect is that a large number of our current mirrors will drop
non-free and the load on our new non-free server will go up, probably
doubling to about 6G/day of traffic. There is a good chance we can get a
sponsor for this, but I haven't got a lead on an appropriate machine..

Proposals always sound so much simpler when you don't have to actually
implement them, don't they?

Jason