Re: Some questions for the DPL candidates

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 06:19:18PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> btw, if he says "no, i will take no action" and then goes ahead and
> takes the action that he said he wouldn't then that WOULD be a lie.
> worse, it would be a lie uttered with the intention of deceiving voters
> during an election.

(your question was: "do you intend to take any action to have non-free
removed from the debian archives?")

Only if he really has the intention now. People and situation change, and it
might be that Branden doesn't have the intention to take any action towards
this now, but changes his opinion in half a year because the situation
changes. Or the other way round.

Neither answer, "no" or "yes" would bind him to anything.

If I were nominated, I surely wouldn't make any hard concrete promise about
any particular issue. I would always leave room to change my opinion upon
new facts revealed to me in the process. Answering yes/no to a question of
intention is possible, but not very meaningful.

Ideally, it wouldn't even matter. IIRC, a general resolution proposed by
the DPL has a similar status to one proposed by a normal developer. If the
DPL would just charge ahaead, it would trigger immediately a General
Resoution to stop him (on such an issue anyway), with the same effect.
But of course I can see that it is not as simple in real life.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de