Re: Secret votes HOWTO

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 05:17:27PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 02:10:49PM -0700, lantz moore wrote:
> > sure, the ballot is signed, however, the "password" can be anything the
> > person wants, including their own name/email or someone else's name/email.
> > i was just pointing out that if someone does use someone else's name/email
> > as their password, temporary confusion will ensue.
>
> I'm not sure this problem is worth solving.
>
> If a person wants to vote non-anonymously, they can post their signed
> ballot somewhere public.  If that's not done, then I think we have to
> assume that any personal identity in the "vote id" is bogus.
>
> If we care, or if abuse becomes a problem, we could limit the "vote id"
> to hexadecimal characters.

Also, not sure about this, but if a vote is anonymous, then forcing all people
to vote anonymously may be best. I don't think it would make a difference for
debian, but i guess most anonymous votes are done so, so that you may not
influence other people by your votes. That said, you can ever claim you voted
in such manner or not, but still you are not displaying your real ballot.

Friendly,

Sven Luther