Re: [PROPOSED] Michael Bramer must stop spamming or be expelled

[Hopefully we can finish this discussion quickly or move to personal mail.  The issue at hand no longer matters.
]

    Glenn> By the same argument i should be able to opt out of
    Glenn> recieving mail from the bug tracking system about any
    Glenn> future bugs in the package i maintain,

Unlike the translation server, the BTS was something you knew
about/agreed to when you joined the project.  If we had no bug
tracking system, and someone wanted to set one up, then either it
should be opt-out, or they should get Debian to agree that it was part
of being a developer.  That agreement could come from a consensus or
by passing a GR.

    Glenn> or opt out of
    Glenn> receiving mail from debian-private.

You can opt-out of debian-private.  Unsubscription instructions are at
the bottom of every mail.  However, I really think debian-private is
also opt-in; I certainly knew I was agreing to get mail from it when I
joined the project.

    Glenn> Its not constructive to try and improve debian by
    Glenn> destorying the work of others.

Sure, it might have been nice if Branden had offered to write code
rather than proposing a GR.  However if Michael's actions violate the
AUP, then they do so regardless of whether they are advancing the
goals of the project.  Michael agreed to follow the AUP not just when
it was convenient to do so but all the time while working as a
developer.    Besides Branden was not asking that the translations stop; simply that the mail stop.

    Glenn> Branden _please_ think about what your doing before you
    Glenn> next threaten someone with expulsion.

It wasn't much of a threat.  Branden effectively said in very formal
language, "Michael, I think what you are doing is wrong.  We aren't
agreeing, so I'm going to ask all of Debian if they agree what you are
doing is wrong.  If there is support for my position, we'll have a
long multi-week debate and eventually a vote.  If after Debian has
formally decided that what you are doing is wrong, you still refuse to
stop, then you will no longer be part of Debian."

Frankly I'm willing to make that style of threat against any
developer: if any Debian developer continues doing something that
Debian has formally asked them to stop doing through a proper GR
process, that developer should no longer be part of Debian.

--Sam