Re: [PROPOSED] Michael Bramer must stop spamming or be expelled

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 19:26:31 -0500
Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:

>   You may not advertise your WWW pages, or cause another person to
>   advertise it, by techniques that would be classified as abuse if they
>   were carried out from a Debian Account. This includes, but is not
>   limited to, bulk emailing and excessive news posting. Such action may
be
>   treated under the appropriate DMUP as if it had been done from the
>   Account, or as a violation of this DMUP or both.
>
> I request a ruling from the Debian-Admin team on whether Michael
> Bramer's actions constitute "bulk emailing".
>
> It is my personal opinion that it does, but that bulk emailing should be
> accepted under the following circumstances:

According to http://www.imc.org/uce-def.html (im sure there are lots of
other definitions laying about though)

"Unsolicited Bulk Email, or UBE, is Internet mail ("email") that is sent to
a group of recipients who have not requested it."

>From what i understand your disagreement is purely with "who have not
requested it" part, however messages are no more being "sent to a group of
recipients" than BTS mail.

I think it should be considered to be just like mail from the BTS.

Glenn