Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 06:59:51PM +0200, Guido Trotter wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 10:05:47AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > If the "winning" option is discarded due to quorum requirements, then
> > given that all non-default options have the *same* quorum requirement,
> > this is exactly what would happen.

> I think this is not inherently true. Since all options are compared two by
> two one of them could theorically defeat all the others but fail to defeat
> the default one by the quorum requirement, while at the same time all the
> others can defeat the default one with the necessary quorum margin...
> This is, of course, a quite borderline case, but it indeed exists.

Ok, after hitting 'send' I was wondering whether this might be the case.
However, as you say, this is very borderline; neither is it likely to
occur, nor is it likely that voters will be worried about this corner
case when deciding whether to vote.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer