Re: electing multiple people

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 19:18:50 +0200, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> said:

> On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 12:02:26PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> > Er, but I didn't suggest that. Or at least I don't think I did - or
>> > is the picture provided at the vote.d.o generated by applying the
>> > iterative method?
>>
>> The pictures are my very own, minimal computation, not-to-be-
>> taken-seriously-but-present-some-pretty-pictures-that-in-most-cases-
>> do-not-depart-too-far-from-the-truth.
>>
>> In no way are these pretty graphics to be taken as a basis of
>> actually making decisions; they present instead a rough graphical
>> view of the pair wise defeats in a method only suited to finding a
>> single winner.

> You should then reorganize the pages to put the actual data used to
> make the outcome first, and the purely informative picture
> later. Right now the picture is shown as the first thing under the
> "Outcome" heading, which is not right.

        I think you misunderstand.  The graph is a perfectly clear
 representation of the pairwise defeats as it  corresponds to the single
 winner outcome; and it shows the relative strengths of the defeats.
 There is nothing wrong with it -- as long as you do not try to project
 and use that data for multi-winner predictions. All the candidates are
 rpesented, and the relative pairwise defeats are presented -- quite
 correctly.  Assuming that the pairwise defeats have something to do
 with global ordering is a leap, however, and not one which is promoted
 by the web page.

        The figure does represent the actual data sued to make the
 single winner outcome.

        None of the data presented, first, or last, has any bearing on
 multi-winner results, and I do not make any representations that the
 data does indeed talk about multiple winners in any way, shape, or
 form.

        manoj
--
Stealing a rhinoceros should not be attempted lightly.