Re: soc-ctte default position, was: electing multiple people

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 01:48:44PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > > I assumed that soc-ctte would intervene somehow on any issue referred
> > > to them, even if it is just to say "let the existing processes stand".
> > > If it ends up at soc-ctte, there is a problem to resolve.
> [...]
> > > What should be soc-ctte's default position?  To do nothing, or to
> > > announce their (maybe-weak) support for the existing situation?
> [...]
> > This is getting needlessly intricate - most people won't care for the
> > difference between doing nothing and formally deciding to do nothing :)
>
> Please don't be daft.  That's not my suggestion: it's the difference
> between doing nothing and doing something to support the existing
> situation.  Also, I think soc-ctte should do, not formally decide.
>
> There are lots of project practices, both formal and informal, and
> written and customary, which will pre-date soc-ctte and I expect some
> of them will be challenged by referring to soc-ctte.  Some of those
> will split soc-ctte, if it represents the project at all well, so I
> think we need to try to be clear about what we want from soc-ctte in
> those cases.
>
> Personally, I expect soc-ctte to do something to support the existing
> situation when they think it's fair overall.  We've seen situations
> where doing nothing has allowed complaints to fester.

Well, that's like saying they should act on common sense. Why would we ever
want to say that it should support an existing situation even if it is
not fair?

Please see Message-ID: <20071009221042.GA3055@keid.carnet.hr> on -project
for my last take on this general stance.

> > But, we've strayed from the topic of debian-vote, let's move this back to
> > debian-project...
>
> I prefer to keep this topic on a development list, rather than hidden
> on a miscellaneous one.  It's developers who may vote on it.

Uhh, debian-project is not a miscellaneous list for hiding things, at least
it's not any less miscellaneous than debian-vote.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.