Re: on firmware (possible proposal)

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 04:20:33PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> [2008-11-12 15:29]:
> > For example, if you want to install Debian on an NSLU, the only
> > difficulty is finding the unofficial D-I images that include
> > non-free firmware.  And even that can be improved.  They could be
> > linked from the main website, and integrated with our
> > infrastructure, much like we do for "non-free", as long as we make
> > it clear they're not officially "Debian".
>
> The problem with this is that we'll end up shipping official Debian
> CDs that won't work on many systems and eventually we'll end up
> telling people "take the unofficial one, you know, the one that
> actually works".  I've been doing that for NSLU2 and there it's not
> such a big deal because everyone uses netboot images, but it's more of
> a problem with CDs/DVDs.

I know people who use Debian themselves, but when asked tell "take the Ubuntu
one, it supports more hardware".  Sure, we can try to compete with that if
that's more practical than either not recommending non-free or shipping two
build sets.  If we go this route, expect that we will either go half-way and
not actually make any difference, or push further and bundle our default
setup with Nvidious blobs, a "restricted devices" daemon, Adobe flash, etc,
etc.

In the end, you can't out-Ubuntu Ubuntu.

--
Robert Millan