Re: non-free?

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:25:02AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 09:32:26AM +0100, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> >On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 15:29 +0900, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> >> Because as long as we document it, it's very hard to claim that
> >> "non-free" is not part of Debian, when you could just add it as a
> >> keyword side-by-side with "main" in your sources.list.
> >
> >The firmware have been moved from main to non-free a few years ago. The
> >unintended consequences is that almost every system now use the non-free
> >suite.
> >Therefore users are more likely to install non-free packages.
>
> Yup. Various conversations have happened around firmware in the last
> few years, but this is an effect that some people may not be aware
> of. So...
>
> Neil and Lucas: what do you have to say on this front? Of all the
> things that *could* be done here, what would you like to see
> personally?

I think the *simplest* thing[0] would be another line in your apt
prompt:

  wibble
The following NEW non-free packages will be installed:
  binaryblob-nonfree

This should raise awareness of the installation of non-free software
without the splitting up of the DNS that would cause issues for users.

Neil
[0] Apologies to apt maintainers if this is not simple. I'm aware that
from an outsiders' point of view, all problems can seem simple!