Re: Proposal: Focus on systemd

* Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> [2019-11-29 17:52]:
> I would be grateful for an informal summary of why proposal F is
> thought to be needed on the ballot in addition to proposal C.  What
> is thought not captured well by Sam's text, but is thought to be
> captured well by Martin's text?

I'm sorry for the delay.  Maybe this reply is moot now that proposal C
has been withdrawn but I wanted to share my personal view of why
another proposal was needed.

When I read through the proposals, there was a lot about proposal B
that I liked.  It contains a lot of "common sense" stuff like: we want
to explore and experiment; people interested in something should do
the work; maintainers should review patches.  All of that are Debian
values that I agree with.  And proposal B says that systemd is the
main system.

So there's a lot about proposal B that I like, but at the end of the
day the proposal doesn't sound that different to the status quo.
While it says systemd, there's no 100% commitment (there's no clear
preference over Debian kludges for example, unlike proposal C had);
and while it talks about experimenting, there's no 100% commitment to
supporting other systems.  So, in a way, it seems like perpetuating
the current situation, which hasn't been working.  It just seems to
lack some finality. (And some people will disagree that it would be
similar to the current situation, otherwise Sam wouldn't have
proposed it in the first place.)

(I have similar feelings about Ian's proposal D, btw.  Again, it
contains a lot of stuff in the beginning that most people in Debian
agree with, but then goes into details that I'm not so sure about.)

Okay, so then I read proposal C.  And while I believe proposal C is
what a lot of people want (i.e. focus on systemd, integrate it more
and basically move on), I find the proposal extremely... bland.

Like I said, proposals B and D have a lot of values that you can agree
with.  Proposal C doesn't have any what I originally described as
"passion".  When talking to other people I realized that proposal C
lacks "vision".  Proposals B/D have much more of that
passion/values/vision.

So looking at the proposals, I just found the offering a bit skewed
because I felt that the proposal that a lot of people want has no
"sway" in comparison with some of the other proposals.

I originally wrote a really bad proposal but after talking to some
people developed a better understanding of what I was missing in the
current proposals and got good ideas on how to frame things (the
cross-distro aspect wasn't my idea).

I hope that explains it.
--
Martin Michlmayr