Re: Willingness to share a position statement?

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 6:57 PM Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:
> Now, as for my question: I thought repeatedly over the last couple of
> days whether to start something like this in Debian... But, what would
> it take for the project to issue a statement in this line? Would we
> have to pass a GR?

Without commenting on the specific statement itself (and noting that I
am not the Secretary and thus am not the arbiter of the constitution's
interpretation):

I think that this kind of statement would require a GR.  The
constitution specifically says that the power to "issue, supersede and
withdraw nontechnical... statements... [including] position statements
about issues of the day" is a power reserved to the Developers as a
whole by way of General Resolution (§4.1.5).  I don't think this
matter requires "urgent action" (§5.1.3), nor would an external
statement be "leading discussions amongst Developers" (§5.1.9), powers
the DPL possesses, and as it is a power explicitly granted to the
Developers with our powers combined, "make any decision for whom noone
else has responsibility" (§5.1.4) also seems inappropriate.

Sincerely,
--
Harlan Lieberman-Berg
~hlieberman