Re: Call for vote: public statement about the EU Legislation "Cyber Resilience Act and Product Liability Directive"

On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 at 10:55, Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Looking at https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:52022PC0454
>
> For example the intro clearly states the intent of *not* burdening the open source development process with the requirements of this directive:
>>
>> (10) In order not to hamper innovation or research, free and open-source software developed or supplied outside the course of a commercial activity should not be covered by this Regulation. This is in particular the case for software, including its source code and modified versions, that is openly shared and freely accessible, usable, modifiable and redistributable. In the context of software, a commercial activity might be characterized not only by charging a price for a product, but also by charging a price for technical support services, by providing a software platform through which the manufacturer monetises other services, or by the use of personal data for reasons other than exclusively for improving the security, compatibility or interoperability of the software.
>
> For this purpose the following point exists:
>>
>> (23)‘making available on the market’ means any supply of a product with digital elements for distribution or use on the Union market in the course of a commercial activity, whether in return for payment or free of charge;
>

> Here the "in the course of a commercial activity" is the critical bit. All volunteer work no longer meets the "making available on the market" definition and thus all other provisions/definitions no longer apply, because they all use the "making available on the market" definition directly or indirectly (via "manufacturer" definition or "product with digital elements" definitions). Re-read the commercial activity mentioned in the point 10 above - it is quite explicit that the activity can only be commercial if its commercial nature is connected with the software in question. So a commercial company releasing open source software that is *not* part of their commercial activity (for example a router manufacturer releasing an in-house written Git UI) would be "supplied outside the course of a commercial activity" and thus not subject to this regulation. But if they release a WiFi driver that they also ship to their customers on their routers, that *would* be a commercial activity and both the open source and the customer version of that driver would need a safety compliance assessment.
>
> Even regardless of the specific legal wording in the legislation itself, the point 10 of the preamble would be enough to to fix any "bug" in the legislation in post-processing via courts. As in - if any interpretation of the wording of the directive is indeed found to be hampering open source development, then it is clearly in error and contrary to the stated intent of the legislation.

This matches precisely my understanding, thank you for stating so
clearly and unambiguously what I've been trying to convey (in a much
less clear way).

> I am *not* objecting to Debian taking such a vote and expressing the stance intended. However, I expect that it will be seen by the EU legislators with mifled amusement, because in their context and understanding the legislative proposal already contains all the necessary protections for open source and free software development processes. However, if a company (say Amazon or MySQL) takes an open source product and provides a commercial service based on that product, then they are expected to also provide security updates, vulnerability notifications and other relevant services to their customers. Which is also an intended consequence of the legislation.
>
> The EU puts the interests of the consumers and of the community above commercial interests. Even commercial interests of small businesses. Allowing small businesses to "pollute" the digital environment with insecure or unmaintained software just because they are small businesses makes no sense from a European perspective.

Indeed. This is good legislation, and the parts you quoted make it
exceedingly obvious that the legislators in fact do care about not
hampering open source development. It would be very, very strange and
self-defeating for the project to come out against this, as the next
time around (because if this doesn't pass, something else will -
software security in commercial products is too important to leave the
current far-west as-is) we might not be so lucky.

Personally, I would also find it _very_ disturbing if the official
position of the project contained this sentence: "It is not
understandable why the EU aims to cripple not only an established
community but also a thriving market.". I am sure it was not the
intention, but very frankly, this reads like a line from an
anarcho-capitalist political manifesto that objects to regulating
commercial for-profit corporations as a matter of principle. I would
beg the submitters, if they still intend to go ahead after these
clarifications, to at least consider dropping that sentence.