Re: Call for vote: public statement about the EU Legislation "Cyber Resilience Act and Product Liability Directive"

On Wed, Nov 15, 2023 at 02:52:31PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I wonder if we should have something like "Free software development by
> nonprofit organizations" somewhere.

Are we now drawing a line between profit and nonprofit? In my view, with Free
Software it should not matter who produces, publishes or uses the software, in
commercial or nonprofit context. That is, in my view, an essential element of
the continuous growth and success of Free Software. This should be the main
message if Debian would make a public statement in this context. Debian should
not try to fix the EU text by defining which categories of contributors are to
be protected. On the contrary, we should aim at keeping the existing freedoms
for anyone alike, including commercial companies. That is also publishing open
source software under licenses with the usual disclaimers of liabilities.

Cheers,
Bart