Re: Use of rewriting in a debian package

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 08:03 +0200, sean finney wrote:
> hey andrew,
>
> the biggest inhibitor lately is that i have a really, really full plate
> right now with my other debian stuff, so i haven't had much time to
> devote to it.

I can completely understand :-)

> > When can we look forward to a release which we can usably depend on, and
> > which we can all improve in parallel, rather than waiting on your
> > solitary search for perfection.
>
> well, for the "improving in parallel" part of that, it *is* in an svn
> repository, after all :)  if more people were interested in using it
> (and ideally helping develop/maintain it) i don't have a problem with
> unleashing it on unstable as long as there's an agreement that i don't
> want it in etch.  at least until it's had a chance to prove itself, the
> "api" and behaviour stabilize, bugs are shaken out, etc.  but i'd rather
> assume that it's not going to be in etch, which de-stresses me a bit and
> lets me keep priorities straight on the stuff i do want to get done
> before etch goes out the door.

Why not put it in unstable and immediately file an RC bug against it to
keep it out of Etch?

Or an e-mail to the release managers might provide (or be) an easier
solution still.

I would far rather depend on a warts-and-all copy that was in a standard
repository than depend on a bleeding-edge copy in my own repository.  Of
course if I use it for my own applications and then expect to install
them on Etch I would have to do that, but I would be likely to want to
sync the unstable version on there in any case.

Putting it in unstable is worlds better than putting it in experimental
in any case.  Experimental is much more suited to packages which are
major new releases of _existing_ applications which everyone depends on.
Putting a new package into unstable which is flawed just means that
people won't depend on it yet, and it might mean that some of them will
fix a few problems if the working features make it a worthwhile
proposition.

Cheers,
					Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
         Open Source: the difference between trust and antitrust