Re: [DebianGIS] OpenLayers 2.5 Debian Packaging

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 07:56:00PM +0100, sean finney wrote:
> hi there,
>
> On Monday 31 December 2007 06:29:23 am Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 10:27:26AM +0930, Paul Wise wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd like to see a discussion about how to package JS libraries, flash
> > > bits and similar on the debian-webapps list, and perhaps something
> > > written into the draft webapps policy:
> > >
> > > http://webapps-common.alioth.debian.org/draft/html/
>
> that would certainly be nice.  in the case of flash etc, i imagine most of
> that could be addressed with a sentence or two about where the files should
> be located (since it's from an objective view it's just data being fetched
> from the webserver, right?)
>
> but about javascript, maybe it's a little trickier since it's more of
> a "library" used by other applications.  for example the fckeditor mentioned.

This also is true for OpenLayers.

At this point, I've done my best: I don't know where the logical path is
from here forward.

> > fckeditor has the same problem as the earlier packaging for OpenLayers
> > -- it does not include anything to actually enable the application to be
> > used, other than a comment in README.Debian.
> >
> > This is in violation of the "should" suggestions in
> > http://webapps-common.alioth.debian.org/draft/html/ch-httpd.html.
> > (Obviously not a bug -- simply a lack of functionality.)
>
> which "should" suggestion does it violate?

Weird. I don't know what mulled wine I was drinking when I noticed this,
but I can no longer find the reference that I thought I was referring to
:)

> i'm not convinced that it should
> be a policy violation not to enable a web application, assuming that it's at
> least documented in a README or examples file somewhere.  my reading on that
> section is that "_if you are going to register yourself with a webserver,_
> then the following applies".

Yep.

Regards,
--