Re: Piwigo, Owncloud, ...: doing it not right?

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> all (of course, all those packages would have to be compatible the DFSG).
>> I think you should drop the DFSG requirement, because then you have to
>> deal with DFSG item 2, which means tracking down source code for each
>> item.
>
> By "compatible with DFSG" I meant that it should be Free Software.

I don't think software that isn't compliant with DFSG item 2 (ie it is
missing source code for some part) but is released under a
DFSG-compatible license counts as Free Software.

> I wouldn't require from "messy" packages that they solve those messes.
> Only that solving them be possible (i.e. that the source code be
> available somewhere).

Figuring out where the source code is and how to build it is often the
biggest part of the challenge in ensuring that things are Free
Software, mainly because automated build practices and proper
non-source file management are very much lacking in many upstreams.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise