General list behavior and suggestions [Was: Re: Further to: ...]

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009, Serafeim Zanikolas wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 03:18:10PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote [edited]:
> > In the future, if you run into threads like this it's best to contact
> > listmaster@lists.debian.org; I don't think any of us actually read
> > debian-user@ldo, so we'd miss a thread like this unless it's pointed
> > out.
>
> Would we please add the above suggestion:
>
> (i) in the mailing lists CC

listmaster@lists.debian.org is listed right below it as the contact
information for the lists. We're not really the list police, though,
so in general its best if people contact people who are out of line
off-list and remind them of decorum. When things get out of control,
though, let us know.

That said, I'll ask the other listmasters and see what we all think.

> (ii) (ideally) in the subscription confirmation one receives when
> signing up to a mailing list

No one ever bothers to read or keep these things, so it's not worth
it.

> BTW here are some thoughts of mine after I've been flamed recently
> by a DD:
>
>     What's hurting more than a DD's rudeness is the project's silent
>     endorsement of it.

The lack of a public recrimination doesn't equate to endorsement; the
project is large, and necessarily remains silent on a large number of
topics.

>     I'm not implying it's possible to have firefighters all over the
>     place, when DDs are overcommited with real work, but this
>     doesn't make it any less painful from the victim's perspective

Flames happen. It's the nature of communicating using email that its
difficult to see in real time the effect you have on other people.
Where its particularly egregious and uncalled for, people get it
pointed out to them, often privately.

When its obvious to me as a bystander, I occasionally send out mails
to people about it. When people flame me, I try my best to get to the
fuel beneath the flames.

> Speaking of the CC, how about re-wording its penultimate rule
>
>     Try not to flame; it is not polite.
>
> to something stronger, say
>
>     Do not flame; it is counterproductive.

If the words of the CoC were enough to stop people from flaming, even
the first would be enough.

All of that said, suggestions for changes in lists.debian.org behavoir
belong in bugs filed against lists.debian.org, not in a thread on
debian-women@ldo. Feel free to file them if you still feel they're
necessary.

Don Armstrong

--
You think to yourself, hey, it's a test tube, for God's sake. Pretty
soon, though, the rush from a test tube isn't enough. You want to