Re: resource availability and (naive) ideas

On 26 August 2010 08:52, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 26, 2010 02:49:31 am Lesley Binks wrote:
>> Well the only thing I heard of recently in u-w was having your picture
>> taken to win prizes.  I am not against people having their picture taken
>> but was in the group that felt that it wasn't something d-w would do.
>
> OK so I didn't explain well on IRC.  There were multiple contests.  One was an
> essay contest.  The one you're talking about was a contest for photos of
> little girls using Ubuntu, released under a CC license, so that the usual
> repertoire of boysboysboys using computers has something to complement it.
> The goal was to have real images that can be used for posters and suchlike
> that aren't reinforcing the stereotype of computers = boys.
>
> --
Thanks for making that clearer Mackenzie - my immediate reaction to
"posing for pictures to win prizes" was there's too much riskl of it descending
into a 60s/70s bimboesque approach with those without 'the desired perfect
body type' beginning to interpreting it as an exercise in exclusion  (again).

Kind Regards

Lesley Binks