Re: Want to contribute to an article about open source?

Hi Ester and Bob!

I have contributed to the Umbraco CMS as well as open-source ASP.Net and Umbraco-related addins (GitHub: hfloyd).

I have been using Umbraco to create website projects since 2006, so in recent years as I became more confident and skilled as a programmer, I have made small contributions when I saw something which I wanted to improve. Prior to contributing to the software, I was active on the Umbraco developer's forum and spoke at Umbraco conferences. The Umbraco community is uniquely open and friendly, which makes is easy to contribute without judgement and negativity.

My motivation to contribute is three-fold:
1. To improve software for my own use
2. As a "thank you" for the hard work (often uncompensated) that others have contributed, which I benefit from in my work and projects.
3. As a way to further engage with my friends in the Umbraco community.

I have contributed both on my own time, and on company time, since the development agencies I have worked for are using Umbraco and participating in the community as well. Sometimes I have made an improvement to an add-in, for instance, because we needed it for a client project, and then I would re-commit the code back to the original repository as a pull-request so others can benefit from it as well.

I'd be happy to provide any more information you require.

Where & when are you looking to publish your article, Bob?

~ Heather F