Re: Invalid HTML-Tags

* Jutta Wrage <jw@witch.westfalen.de> [2005-10-06 01:49] :

> Hi!
>
> I discovered that especially in the french translations HTML-Tags in
> the original version have been replaced, using the <u>-Tag.
>
> Please do not use that any longer!
> Two reasons
> - - not valid

AFAIK <u> is deprecated in HTML 4.01, i.e. we can still use it as our
pages currently use "HTML Transitional" and as long as we don't change
them to "HTML Strict" (I guess that this is what you are trying to do).

I will change the <u> in the French translations (I have found 12
instances of <u>).

> - - things not to be used (<i>) should be replaced by something, that
> tells more about the content, but not by invalid old html.

I don't understand this: do you think that using <i> is making the page
invalid HTML?

> Quotations:
>
> You may either use the quote div - example aof usage ist in devel/join

>  <q> </q> is a quotation inside text, language (lang=en-us) may be used
> <cite> </cite> is for the quotation source (or person cited
> <kbd> </kbd> is for keyborad _input_
> <samp> </samp> is for program _output_
> <var> </var> is for variables (names or to be replaced by the user)
> <code> </code> for computer code - I think, that can be taken for
> program names, too? Suggestion?
> <pre>
> </pre> is preformatted text - lines should not be to long!!

I agree that <em> and <strong> should be preferred, but I did not see
anywhere in the HTML specifications
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/elements.html) that they should not
be used, even using "HTML Strict".

> Another thing: If the translators note invalid usage of HTML in the
> original source, it would be fine to contact others about a general
> changes. How it is now, it is not possible to make changes for all
> languages without looking very carefully for different tag usage. On
> the other hand the user should be presented translations and not very
> different looking pages, in my opinion.
>
> We are down to about 1600 html files now that would not validate as
> HTML strict

Could you send me privately the list of files for the French
translation? I will then send them to the French list so that
translators can check them or make the change myself if needed.

> Before I forget: If you look into the HTML 4.01 Specification for
> valid tags, please note the tables at the end of the specs and do not
> use tags or attributes marked there with "D" (depricated), "L" (loose
> DTD), "F" (frameset). In the specation text itself it is often not
> stated out, if the tags or attibutes are still valid in strict DTD.

According to http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html, documents
that follow "HTML Strict" can not include deprecated elements, which
are, according to http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/elements.html:

applet, basefont, center, dir, font, isindex, menu, s, strike, and u.

Note : of these, only <center> is used in 19 english pages.

> I am currently not adding missing end tags, so thode working on the
> page content may have a look, if all <li> and <p> are cosed. Having
> those tags that include blocks in seperate line would be nice for
> later changes.

BTW is there any easy way to validate the pages as "HTML Strict"
(without using the W3C Validator)? (using tidy, weblint or something
else)

Fred