Wiki.debian.org changes

Hey folks,

We now have a new update of moin installed on wiki.d.o with two
changes in that should help us:

1. Saving pages should now be much faster than previously

There's a moin bug which causes substantial slowdowns on wikis with a
large number of registered users, due to the way notifications are
implemented. There's a patch that the wiki.gnome.org admins developed
to add a cache for much better performance here. See [1] for more
details. I've taken that patch and tweaked it slightly. Initial
testing suggests that page saving should now take up to 15 seconds or
so instead of the ~60-70 seconds I was seeing earlier. It's still not
as fast as I'd like, but it *is* much better.

2. New accounts will need to be verified by email before use

The number of spam attacks on the wiki is reducing over time, but
we're still seeing too many people abusing it. I've implemented [2]
new support in moin to require that newly created accounts are
verified by email before people can log in and start making
changes. Existing accounts that are already working will be fine -
they will not need to be validated in this way. Stopping the drive-by
spammers will hopefully kill off most of the noise now.

Both of these patches are working fine as far as I can tell from my
testing, but there's always a chance that I may have broken
something. Please let me know if you find any problems that you think
might be caused by these changes.

[1] http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinBugs/GetSubscribersSlow
[2] http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinPatch/VerifyAccountCreationByEmail

Cheers,
"I've only once written 'SQL is my bitch' in a comment. But that code
 is in use on a military site..." -- Simon Booth