Re: FONT PROBLEMS! XF4-phase1 debs, v8 -> v11, mga, 16 bpp

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 01:05:20PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 09:40:26AM -0500, Thomas E. Vaughan wrote:
> > My understanding is that there are
> >
> >      (1) an mga kernel module and
> >      (2) an mga (X) server module, also known as the mga driver.
>
> That's correct, if you're using direct rendering.
>
> You don't need a kernel module for your video hardware if you're just using
> good-old fashioned non-framebuffer console support and no direct rendering.
>
> > Are you saying that I shouldn't be using the stock 2.4.0-test6 kernel
> > module and should rather be using the kernel module from the dri project's
> > cvs repository?  If so, then does Branden include in his debs the relevant
> > kernel module (either as compiled for some versions of the kernel or as
> > source code)?
>
> No, the Linux kernel modules are not maintained by XFree86 as far as I know.

Huh, ...

not sure about this, but i got a mail response from the xfree-devel list
saying that the kernel modules in :

 xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel

should be more recent than the kernel modules in the kernel release.

That said, i looked at the gamma dri module in both 4.0.1 and kernel
2.4.0-test5, and it seemed to me that the linux kernel module was somewhat
more recent, not sure though.

Anyway, it was developped by VA folk i think.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER