Re: Questions about r128 server

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 11:56:33PM -0600, Jeff Lessem wrote:
> I should probably be asking these on newbie or xpert, but as this list
> has so much less volume I thought I would try here first.  I am
> running a 2.4.0-test9 woody system with whatever the latest Debian
> XFree86 4.0.1 packages happen to be.  I have a Dell Inspiron 5000e
> with the ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP) video card.  As this is a
> laptop, I am using a flat panel display.
>
> For the most part X works well, but there are a few things which are
> bugging me:
>
> Is it possible to enable DPMS, or whatever mechanism allows for
> turning off the screen?  I have 'options "dpms"' in my "Monitor"
> section, but I am just told 'Option "dpms" is not used' when X starts.

% man xset

       -dpms   The  -dpms  option  disables  DPMS  (Energy  Star)
               features.

       +dpms   The   +dpms  option  enables  DPMS  (Energy  Star)
               features.

       dpms flags...
               The dpms option  allows  the  DPMS  (Energy  Star)
               parameters  to  be set.  The option can take up to
               three  numerical  values,  or  the  `force'   flag
               followed  by  a  DPMS  state.   The  `force' flags
               forces the server to  immediately  switch  to  the
               DPMS  state  specified.  The DPMS state can be one
               of `standby', `suspend', or `off'.  When numerical
               values  are  given, they set the inactivity period
               before the three modes are activated.   The  first
               value  given is for the `standby' mode, the second
               is for the `suspend' mode, and the  third  is  for
               the  `off'  mode.  Setting these values implicitly
               enables  the  DPMS  features.   A  value  of  zero
               disables a particular mode.

HAND
Frank aka Myth