alt->meta->esc status quo

Dear Debian-Xers,

At the moment, I need to set the X resource xterm*metaSendsEscape to true
and to do xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L" to get Alt+key
combinations to work in an xterm, e.g. on the command-line (e.g. alt-f and
alt-b for skipping words forwards and backwards) or in programs like JED.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this how it's supposed to be?  I've
checked the xterm FAQ as well as the xserver-common FAQ and some of the old
BTS reports, but couldn't find closure on this matter.  Any clarification
would be most welcome, as this matter comes up every so often.

Thanks in advance,
Charl

--
charl p. botha      | computer graphics and cad/cam
http://cpbotha.net/ | http://www.cg.its.tudelft.nl/