X Server Configuration 3.3.6 in Woody does not work

Hello,

I hope this is the right list for my problem. Sorry if not.

After the installation of XFree 4.1 does not work properly on my system (the X
server first starts correctly and seems to be ok but can't be finished without
to hook off the screen and lock the whole machine later) I deciced to change
back to Release 3.3.6 which worked fine on my laptop with a former installed
Potato.

During installing the XFree86 3.3.6 server (xserver-s3v) on a clean installed
woody (via boot-floppies 3.1.18 without any problems) debconf reports
the folling error:

     dexconf: this tool does not know how to configure the "xserver-s3v" X
server. Unable to write X server configuration file.

The same happend when I used the vga16 and svga server from 3.3.6.

I tested the configuration process with xf86config but it reports problem with
some missing card definitions and finally dies with a segmentation fault.

The same happend after the install of xf86setup package. The call of XF86Setup
failed with missing card data and stopped execution with a segmentation fault.

So, what to do. I did some investigation in several mailing lists (debian-x,
debian-testing) but find no hint for a my problem.

Can anybody help?

BTW. My system is a toshiba laptop Satellite Pro 490CDT (a bit old but still
working)

Thanks a lot in advance

Olaf Jaeger