Re: Euro symbol and Portuguese keyboard

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 02:58:51PM +0000, Pedro Corte-Real wrote:
> I have the following keyboard section in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "keyboard"
>         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "pt"
> EndSection
>
> With this config I cannot produce a euro symbol using AltGr-e. Since Portugal
> is part of the euro zone the Debian Euro Howto says this should suffice. It
> doesn't. Should I file a bug report?

Not necessarily:

1) We need to know for sure that the pt symbols file supports the Euro
as is.

$ grep -3i euro /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pt
    key <AD12> {	[      dead_acute,      dead_grave 	]	};
    key <BKSL> {	[      dead_tilde, dead_circumflex	]	};
    key <AD03> {        [               e,               E      ],
                        [        EuroSign,            cent      ]	};

    // End alphanumeric section

Looks like it does.

2) Make sure you're getting an appropriate keysym event.  Use xev(1) to
find out.

3) Make sure your environment is properly localized.  At the very least,
LC_CTYPE should be "pt_PT@euro", according to
/usr/share/doc/locales/SUPPORTED.gz.

4) Make sure you're using an ISO 8859-15 font in your terminal emulator.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       kernel panic -- causal failure