Re: ATI Radeon 7500 PCI

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 22:33, Nathan P. Maier wrote:
>         First I tried to get the PCI card to work with the Gatos "ati.2" driver.
> They say that Dpkg and RPM both install the Xfree86 in unique places.
> Their drivers are based on 4.1.99.  Does anybody know of a way to install
> the "ati.2" project while using the debian installation of XFree86x that's
> already on my system?

Put them somewhere in /usr/local or another non-intrusive place and put
two module paths in the XF86Config files section:

	ModulePath	"/usr/local/somewhere/lib/modules"
	ModulePath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

>         Second I went ahead and downloaded Xfree86 and compiled it myself.
> Xfree86 4.2.0 says it supports Radeon cards.  Does it in fact support the
> PCI version?  I can't start "XFree86 -configure" or any of the graphical
> configuration tools.

Chances are the manual install messed things up, but anyway what happens
when you try them?

>  I accidentally deleted "xfree86config" and even after
> installing new "XFree86" versions it hasn't reappeared.  Is there somewhere to download "xf86config" so i can
> see if my card is on the list?

If you mean xf86config, that's obsolete and would certainly make a worse
job than XFree86 -configure and xf86cfg.