Problem finding default font 'fixed'

Apologies for the intrusion.

(Yes, I've read the XFree86 FAQ)

I'm decommissioning an aging Mandrake box with a new Debian (Woody) box. There
is a JavaStation that has to boot from the server, and it then gets an X session
from it.

I ran up the new server on a different IP, and recently went to switch it to the
IP of the old server. This is when I discovered that the JavaStation, although
booting from the new Debian server, was still using the old Mandrake server as
it's font server.

After changing IP's around so that the JavaStation was using the Debian box as
it's font server, X failed to start, with the "Cannot find default font 'fixed'
error".

The NFS mounted filesystem that the JavaStation uses appears to have old XFree86
3.3.6 (or something of that vintage) on it. I'm running XFree86 4.1.0 on the new
Debian server.

Are there any font client/server interoperability issues between version 3.3 and
4.1? I messed around and got fslsfonts from XFree86 4.1.0 onto the JavaStation's
root filesystem, and verified that it could see a fixed font. Is there anywhere
I can get a Sparc binary of fslsfonts for XFree86 3.3.x (if such a thing existed
back then)?

Failing that, I guess I'm up for upgrading the X stuff on the JavaStation to
version 4.1.0, I just don't know much about JavaStations, so I only want to have
to do that as a last resort.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Andrew