Re: DPI, font size, and Debian

Jean-Christophe Dubacq (jean-christophe.dubacq@ens-lyon.org):

> Unless if you are working with graphics. If I want to evaluate the
> proper rendering of a map I am working on (either in bitmap or in
> vectorial mode), I pretty would like to check how my map compares to
> the counters that are exactly 3/4" or 1/2" wide.

  True, but I do not think that "DPI" as it is used in computing really
maps to that.  Notice that applications such as the gimp let you
configure DPI internally to the application.

  Having a separate value for "real DPI" from the one used for fonts and
other user interface elements would probably be valuable here.  If you
find that you have many applications that require a mapping to real
sizes, maybe it would be good to standardize a separate parameter for
this.

  -Billy