Re: svn management, git, etc

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 11:29:06PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> I use patch systems for some of my own packages, so am not against their
> use, but we must realize that external people have valid arguments
> against this use.

That's fair. I acknowledge that, and I admit that quilt isn't the be-all
end-all. But when we were carrying around over 100 patches to the
monolithic source tree, we couldn't reasonably keep them as one big glob in
svn. And moving to quilt allowed me to release 6.9 about 5-10x faster than
6.8 simply due to architecture improvements in the system.

Now with the modular tree, I'm willing to keep it all in the repo,
depending on how things go. If git really does help us to push changes
upstream, and I'm able to do this frequently and keep our patch number
down, stopping quilt use may be a good idea. We'll see how it plays out,
but right now the benefits of using quilt for us seem to outweigh the
downsides.

 - David Nusinow