Re: new name for Deity

On 1 Mar 1998 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> No, I am not trying to marginalize you. I was looking for a quick way
> to make a decision where almost any non-offensive name would do and we
> could get back to work on more important issues. I find it distressing
> that everyone wants to pick the name for the program but nobody is
> volunteering to be a programmer on the project. This says that something
> is seriously wrong with our priorities, doesn't it?

I understand your motivation, however, I don't think that we need to be
rushed in picking a new name.  The current project name is fine while this
is still a project and not a product.  This will not be ready for Debian
2.0, so we have time to choose a name.

Now I'm not saying we should take a really long time, but lets not push
too hard to change the name.  It looks to me like we almost have a name
chosen.  There is no need to push the major contributor to make an
executive desciion.  All that will do is alienate the other project
members.

One thing I appreciate about Jason is that he hasn't spontaneously made
any executive descisions despite probably being the defacto team leader of
this project.

Patience we are almost there.

I do agree that there are a lot of people on devian-devel that have an
opinion on what it should be called, but don't want to put in the time to
code for the project.  However, some of that was just idle banter, and
people bonding over a certain topic they felt they could easily contribute
to.

Behan

Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com
+1-613-224-7547   http://www.verisim.com/