Re: Name

> Someone was talking about how GRUB might stand for Grand Unified Boot
> Loader, it occured to me,
>
> GUMP
>
> Grand Unified Manager of Packages [ GUPM is too hard to say ]
>
> Might be a suitable name, we can have things like 'gp-get' and so on, it
> has a nice abbreviation compared to trove and dusk.

Hmmm...  Well, I can't say that I'm too fond of it off hand.  First off,
it's a "cute" name and my experience says that such cuteness quickly fades
to annoyance.  One user already said that they'd have trouble telling
users to "run 'trove'" with a straight face (though I can't see why).
Calling it "gump" would be even worse in this respect.

Also, as somebody else said, the name is associated with being mentally
challenged.  It doesn't really matter that Forrest Gump was an exceptional
person and accomplished a lot of things.  When the first impression
is negative, I think it's a bad choice.

I'd have to rank this choice 3rd, behind "deity" and "trove".

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

     I am Pentium of Borg.  Division is futile.  You will be approximated.