Re: Ordering

Hi,

	The breaks process is also where we can implement a configure
 now mechanism. If some packages are marked as such (and judgment
 should be used in marking packages so), then a flag can be added to
 the package, and the unpack/intall routine can call the configuration
 routine at that point.

	This caould be used to make sure that mission critical
 packages are not left in unpacked-but-unconfigured state for too long
 (ungrading from Bo to Hamm can take a long time on a slower machine).

	Question: how are you handling dependency loops in the
 ordering algorithm? Actually, I shall cvs upgrade deity and check.

	I think that if there was a way of looking at the dependents
 (or reverse dependents) in a given order (pre-depends first, then
 depends, etc), that would make loop breaking easier, and less likely
 to mess up.

	Also, optionally, if the user so desires, one could also try
 making sure that recommends were ordered earlier, but with a soft
 error flag that would abandon the node without coloring them if a
 loop dependency arose while in the soft dependency cycle (this is a
 bell and whistle)

	The way to do it is to pass in an optional argument called
 SoftDepend to the recursive ordering routine when passing in a
 recommends child.

	Did that make sense? Or should this be handled in user
 selection phase (the user is shown the recommends and selects them
 there if she so pleases), and the ordering is done as it is now?

	manoj
 just throwing out ideas
--
 What do you call it when someone rubs a Volkswagen van on your head?
 A Fahrvergnoogie.