Wow.

I fiddled away the bugs and other than a bit of tuning the idea -appears-
to have worked, look what it deduced,

Early remove because of kbd sysvinit
Remv b5 i64 d21 sysvinit [bsdutils awe-midi modutils dpkg-ftp awe-drv ]
Inst kbd
Inst sysvinit

In this case the conflicts/conflicts loop has a randomly placed break
point but simpler loops like perl (predepends+conflicts) go flawlessly,

Early remove because of perl-base perl
Remv b15 i60 d21 perl [alien latex2html mime-support adduser procmail-lib
Conf b15 i60 d21 libgdbmg1 [alien latex2html mime-support adduser
Inst perl-base
Conf b12 i61 d21 perl-base [alien adduser procmail-lib awe-midi apache
Inst perl

And the evil e2fsprogs,

Early remove because of comerr2g e2fsprogs
Remv b3 i78 d21 e2fsprogs [awe-midi dpkg-ftp awe-drv ]
Inst comerr2g
Inst ss2g
Inst e2fslibsg
Inst e2fsprogs

Which is still slightly evil. It's an immediate configure essential
depends/conflicts 3 step loop - very complex. Each of the inst's conflicts
with the existing version of e2fsprogs and installing a new e2fsprogs
early is undesired because of it's essential nature. It is impossible to
keep e2fs working during the transition.

This algo is derived from the discussion on the thread 'tape deity'
specificly my point about one true order. It turns out that in practice
that statement is false (it will totaly destroy essential packages) which
means 'tape deity' would be crazy to attempt. But the general principle
leads to a general solution to loops and cd splitting.

I am confident that it is possible to install from a pair of CD's in
exactly one swap with minimal breakage. More on how this works later...

Jason