Re: FWD: potato's apt makes the wrong decisions on dist-upgrade

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 11:24:54PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Randolph Chung wrote:
>
> > Colin, I'm forwarding this to the apt list since it's more likely to get
> > an answer there....
>
> The one in potato has bugs <shrug>. It has always been said in the release
> notes to do 'apt-get install dpkg apt' as the first operation, if that
> causes all sorts of problems then it is necessary to make potato compiles
> of apt/dpkg/whatever to resolve the problem - or to change the
> dependencies of the problem packages in woody so it is not a problem.

I thought so, too, and I was about to tell someone to RTFM before using
potato's apt to do an upgrade to woody, but I checked the current woody
release notes, and they do not specify any such thing.  They only require
that pre-potato systems upgrade dpkg (to 1.6.13) and apt (to 0.3.19) to the
static versions in upgrade-<arch>.

Potato says:

"If you are upgrading from Debian GNU/Linux version 2.1 (any point release)
and you want to upgrade using either the network (FTP, HTTP) or a local
packages mirror (possibly a disk partition, or an NFS-mounted mirror), then
*you can use the apt and dpkg packages that came with that Debian release*. Of
course, if apt is not installed yet (it is not by default), install it now."
(emphasis added)

and woody seems to include a variation of the same paragraph:

"If you are upgrading from Debian GNU/Linux version 2.1 or later and you
want to upgrade using either the network (FTP, HTTP) or a local packages
mirror (possibly a disk partition, or an NFS-mounted mirror), then you can
use the apt and dpkg packages that came with that Debian release. Of course,
if apt is not installed yet, install it now."

--
 - mdz