Re: RFC: The Future of Solving Dependency Problems in APT (SAT, CUDF)

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 06:55:40PM +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> The key concept of APT regarding a candidate-version is seriously
> flawed if some solvers are concerned for example, so best of all do
> not calculate it if nobody needs it, but what else is optional?

Indeed. Or, to be more precise, it's a bit too constraining if we want
to exploit advantages that state of the art solvers can offer. The
question is whether the notion of candidate-version established via
pinning is part of the specification of what a solver *must* do (i.e. no
solver will be allowed to deviate from it), or rather a quality criteria
to be fulfilled in some best effort way, possibly coupled with a warning
of deviation before applying a proposed solution.

The way we did that in EDSP is that, by default, pinning *must* be
obeyed to, whereas users can explicitly request to be more flexible (the
keyword in the protocol description is "Strict-Pinning", IIRC).

But this really is a major policy point that should be decided by our
beloved deities.

> CUDF is optional, but how to expose APT's mmap cleanly?
<snip>
> Its a bit slow to convert MMap to EDSP and back, but it is quiet
> interesting for testing at least and binary transfer hard-depends on
> solver.h …

The day we will be satisfied with EDSP as a long term solution---I *am*
satisfied ATM, but as a matter of fact we haven't yet started testing
with real users, so we should better be cautious---we can imagine having
a binary version of the EDSP protocol. And yes, at that point we will
need an answer to your question above.

> And we haven't yet answered questions like how to work with
> interactive solver (like the one in aptitude) at all…

Indeed. By the way, here in Paris we are interested in working on this,
but we need people with implementation experience on interacting solving
as peers (as far as I understand, that set of people is the singleton
set containing Daniel). So if you are interested in working on this,
please let me know.

> Not your fault, i wasn't too clear about that…
> I moved on to lp:~donkult/apt/experimental

Ah, that explains it, thanks for the pointer!

Cheers.