Re: apt-get update stuck at 0%[Working]

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 09:26:44AM +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 01:21:44AM -0400, Ian Boardman wrote:
> > Hello apt developer. I have been using the Fink Project ports of Linux
> > packages. I have had several long message exchanges with their developers
> > for a critical failure of apt-get communicating with their servers. I have
> > also Googled and read everything I could find about such problems with
> > apt-get, without resolution. I have searched the Debian mail lists archives
> > and found nothing relevant.
>
> I think I remember a few instances of fixing bugs with such "stuck"
> symptoms but they never were that persistent, so perhaps something
> completely different…
> The problem is that the apt package in the Fink
> project itself seems to be stuck at version 0.5.4. That version was
> released "Sat, 18 Aug 2001", so more than 15 years ago and given that
> I am around for "just" 7 years I don't feel comfortable talking about
> potential bugs in that version…

In fact, nobody from the current team was around then. Even mvo is
only around since 12 years...

> At this point, there is probably A LOT more sense in working on getting
> the apt version unstuck rather than trying to get this specific version
> unstuck.
>
> I know next to nothing about Fink, but in their github repository they
> have just one patch [0] they apply and it doesn't look unreasonably big
> to work on that. For example, it seems to include changes to emulate an
> mmap via a file – that part is obsolete by now as apt contains code to
> do that at runtime (that came to be some years ago for filesystems
> without mmap support if I remember right).  Other hunks of that patch
> look like whitespace fixes, namespacing and at times the patch is even
> patching previous hunks of the patch o_O … The actual plattform specific
> changes seem actually rather small and contained (disclaimer: very
> casual scroll over the diff).

More relevant:

http://fink.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fink/experimental/thesin/finkinfo/new/apt.patch?revision=1.2&view=markup

(experimental fink with apt 0.9.16.1).

> As said I know next to nothing about Fink itself and exactly nothing
> about the MacOS/Darwin platform as I am simply missing the hardware and
> I think the rest of the team is in the same boat, but if someone from
> Fink would like to try updating apt we would be more than happy to help!
> I don't see an inherent problem in merging the platform code upstream
> either, it is just a matter of someone working on that and testing it…
> So, feel free to talk to use on our mailinglist deity@lists.debian.org
> and/or join us on IRC: OFTC network channel #debian-apt

Which would be me...

https://github.com/julian-klode/apt/commits/portability/fink

(just rebased against 1.3~rc3)

And yes, that's not based on the patch you linked, but a newer
one against 0.9.something.

The FreeBSD port already includes most portability stuff, there's
only a few things missing now. Once I have access to an OS X VM,
I can check what else is missing.

--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev

When replying, only quote what is necessary, and write each reply
directly below the part(s) it pertains to (`inline'). Thank you.