apt hook protocol for restarting/altering the current upgrade? (re apt-listbugs twice-in-a-row requirement)

Hi folks,

In #1021289 I learned that when apt-listbugs adds pinning for a
package, it then aborts the current apt upgrade and expects the user to
then restart the apt upgrade manually, so the pinning takes effect.

The bug was that pinning wasn't saved under unattended-upgrades,
so the upgrade process would always abort when an RC bug was found.

(I run with minimal steps mode enabled though, which aborts midway)

That is being fixed now though, but it does mean that if you have
unattended-upgrades running daily and there is both an RC bug and
a security update, then the upgrade will be delayed for a day.

Also, in interactive apt upgrades, aborting the current upgrade after
adding pinning is kind of jarring, which is a bit of a usability issue.

I was thinking it might be interesting to have DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs
commands be able to return an exit code or stderr command that would
ask apt to restart the current upgrade from scratch, including
reloading pinning files and recalculating the upgrade.

Alternatively if DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs commands could alter the list
of packages being installed, then it could add pinning and tell apt to
not install the buggy package.

Any thoughts?

--
bye,