libept roadmap/maintenance status

Hello,
my package (packagesearch) is using libept to access the apt database. Packagesearch used to use apt-xapian for searching the package database. apt-xapian is maintained by the QA and it suffers from a bug affecting packagesearch (long descriptions are no longer indexed). Since apt-xapian is more or less abandoned, I tried to switch the searching back to using libept. However libept also has a bug, that long descriptions are not correctly returned (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=670569). Also there is a wishlist bug to abandon libept in favour of apt-xapian (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=540218)

What I would like to know is the roadmap/direction you plan to take with libept. Do you plan to continue maintaining it? If so, fixing the "long description" bug would be important for packagesearch.
If not, I will probably have to switch to plain libapt-pkg. Is there any documentation/howto on how to use libapt-pkg? libapt-pkg-doc does provide some API doc and some internals, but a high level user guide would be helpful for this complex library.

Regards
Ben

[Please CC, I am not subscribed]