Re: non-essential adduser poses problems to purging packages

Hi Julian,

On 2023-05-16 22:15:33 +0200, Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> On 2023-05-07 20:30:03 +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> > On Sun, May 07, 2023 at 08:16:14PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > > I don't have a problem pushing a 2.6.1 out with this in the coming days. Is
> > > this the best solution though - maybe setting Essential on adduser might be
> > > easier and formally fix the issue for now.
> >
> > I was also thinking that maybe it really should be essential for now.
> >
> > > We generally do not expect stuff to depend on apt. This seems to be a gap
> > > in piuparts, that it has apt installed while testing packages.
> >
> > Even if we made apt depend on adduser again, packages would still fail
> > purging if you removed apt and adduser beforehand. Julian also pointed
> > out another advantage on IRC: By using the Essential flag, we can
> > forcefully remove adduser while keeping apt. This option is unavailable
> > given a dependency.
>
> If you agree that making it Essential: yes or Protected: yes, then
> please go ahead with implementing this change. The window to fix this is
> closing quickly.

Adding Protected: yes to adduser has broken piuparts (and maybe other
tools that we do not know about). As the time is running out to
experiment with other solutions to this bug, please put back the
dependency on adduser for bookworm. This change restores the state from
bullseye and was agreed on in today's RT meeting.

After the release, dropping the adduser from Depends and all other
changes can be revisisted.

Cheers
--
Sebastian Ramacher