Re: [gopher] Soo sad today...

On May 20, 2012, at 13:59 , Bradley D. Thornton wrote:

>>> my NAS is out...
>>> 4To fo data lost  :/
>>> !!! NetGEAR ReadyNAS RND4000 !!!
>
> That's not a NAS. That's a toy.

Agree.

> You do realize that you can buy a Proliant G5 w/6 146GB SAS drives w/a
> real RAID controller (like, do RAID 0+1, with extra hot standby drives,
> etc.) for about 400 bucks on eBay, right?

Yes. Why not just put a real zSeries machine in there? I can get one for free. It runs every instruction in two CPUs and if they don't match, gets a few other CPUs to do the same thing. Now that's a robust home NAS.

Get real. A "toy" NAS box is small and quiet while your Proliant is humangous, sucks power like there's no tomorrow and is freaking noisy.

> I mean, why pay 200 bucks for a toy when you can have the real thing for
> 400 w/free shipping that has 8 cores and 8 or 12GB RAM?

Because it's small, quiet and gets the job done? Or are you saying that Linux on a NAS box is somehow worse than Linux on a Proliant?

That said, I actually agree with you. I'm just about the trow out my NAS and replace it with a small quiet Lenovo workstation (Thinkstation M57 SFF) with dual 2TB disks in RAID-1. The NAS was just too slow for any actual usage.

Kim