Re: Chapter 13 again ...

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

> Unfortunately this promptly destroys the requirement for different
> package managers to co-operate. It's all very well permitting unfettered
> competition between managers, but it is currently impossible to
> guarantee that one package manager will (even minimally) work reasonably
> with a distribution based on a different manager. rpm won't work on
> Corel, dpkg won't work on SuSE. And it doesn't matter a damn whether my

Who cares? Isn't all that matter that you can install packages from any
distribution on any other? A standard package file format does exactly
that.

The database format you propose will be extremely slow btw. I know that
Red Hat, and I'm sure that Debian, spend an inordinate amount of timing
on their database design to make sure tha t large package transactions
run as quickly as possible. As long as the tol is standardized well enough,
installing packages and querying packages across distributions will work
just fine.

Erik

|            "Who is John Galt?" - Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand		      |
|  Linux Application Development  --  http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad   |