Re: Standard way to detect the Linux distro installed

P.S.: please CC your reply to me, as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Simon Epsteyn wrote:

> I think this is the opposite of what LSB is trying to do.  All that LSB
> should and will provide you is the ability to see whether the system is LSB
> compliant and which version of LSB it is compliant to.

I understand that, but being able to do what you said _and_ provide
some mechanism to know additional information about that specific
system (such as Linux distribution name and version) are _not_ mutually
exclusive concepts. And although it may not be useful for you, it might
be useful for other people.

BTW, I think the approach of a text file is better than the binary
equivalent (i.e. lsb_release). That's my opinion (and some other's
too) anyhow. ;)

Regards,
Ivan Passos	|     Beware of programmers	|	 -o)
SW Engineer	|           who carry 		|	 /\\
Cyclades Corp	|         screwdrivers.		|	_\_V