Re: man pages

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero@redhat.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Jan Schaumann wrote:
>
> > Granted, there is no mention of man-pages or other forms of
> > documentation in this definition, yet I believe that to "enable a
> > uniform industry standard environment", one needs documentation for each
> > tool/application.
>
> Right... A man page requirement (if any) should be limited to command line
> tools though - can anyone seriously picture a newbie typing "man kdesktop"
> or "man gnome-session"?

Man pages are not only for newbies.  I for example never used either of
these two commands and just looked them up just to see what they're
doing.

gnome-session has a man-page, kdesktop does not.  At least now I know
what gnome-session does and how it works - even though I won't use it :)

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann
http://www.netmeister.org